Theatre Production, Design, and Stage Management Work Study Programs
Program dates: Ongoing
Additional program dates: April 2013 to March 2014
Application deadline: December 14, 2012 (for spring/summer 2013 positions)
Please note: Applications received after the deadline will be considered based on availability
How to Apply
Applications, supporting materials, and processing fee must be received by the deadline in order to be considered for adjudication.
All applicants must submit:
- Checklist: Checklist: A completed application requirements checklist.
- Application form and fee: A completed application form including processing fee (fee varies per program and is non-refundable).
- Resume: A resume or C.V.
- Statement of objectives: a statement of objectives which the applicant would like to achieve during their program. Please list what Work Study position you are applying for.
- References: names, addresses, and telephone numbers of two people who have agreed to provide verbal or written recommendations, on request;
Please note: a portfolio is required from all applicants to properties, design, scenic painting, and wigs and make-up. Applicants to these Work Study positions are required to submit a copy of their portfolio to the Office of the Registrar by the application deadline. A portfolio is also required if you are applying for properties, design, scenic painting, or wigs and make-up as an additional or alternate program choice.
Along with the basic application form that can be submitted electronically, all other text-based support materials can be sent as an email attachment to the following address: Theatre_Registrar@banffcentre.ca
Attachments should be sent in a recognized word processing format. Microsoft Word is preferred. Rich Text Format is another option, if you do not have Microsoft Word. Please indicate clearly which program the support materials are for. Pages should be numbered with your name clearly indicated on each page. If you are scheduled for a telephone interview, you can submit your portfolio materials digitally in DVD or CD format. Websites and Internet links are also acceptable, as long as the links provided lead directly to the material to be viewed. Emailed images are also acceptable, but only if they do not exceed a five megabyte maximum.
Hard Copy Submissions
Applicants wishing to provide text-based support materials in hard copy rather than electronically, should submit materials to:
Office of the Registrar
The Banff Centre
107 Tunnel Mountain Drive, Box 1020
T1L 1H5 Canada
Please indicate clearly, on each item submitted, your name and which program the support materials are for.
- All application material and portfolio pages must be numbered and the applicant’s name should be clearly indicated at the top of each page.
- Do not send original works. Portfolio materials will not be returned to the applicants.
- Applicants sending portfolio materials from outside Canada must attach, on the outside of the package, a declaration of value for customs. The estimated value for customs declaration should reflect the cost of media used, not the value of the work itself (e.g., photocopies of portfolio: Value $5).Failure to do so may result in customs charges; any charges incurred will be charged to the applicant’s account.
Participants are selected on the basis of competency, demonstrated interest, and assessed potential in professional theatre. Participants normally will have completed at least two years of relevant academic training, with related professional experience, or will have experience in a related area of professional performing arts.
Adjudication and Notification
All applications are adjudicated by the Director of Production and Production Training in consultation with Theatre Arts Production department heads. All interviewed applicants will be notified once adjudications are completed.
Banff Centre Credit
Successful applicants to Theatre Arts programs will be required to acknowledge The Banff Centre’s contribution to the production of any work created wholly or in part at The Banff Centre.
For questions on preparing your application, please contact the Office of the Registrar:
Phone: 403.762.6180 or 1.800.565.9989
Above photo: Courtesy The Banff Centre.
All programs, faculty, dates, fees, and offers of financial assistance are subject to change. Program fee subject to applicable taxes. Non-refundable fees and deposits will be retained upon cancellation. Any other fees are refunded at the discretion of The Banff Centre.